KAIST International Graduate Program of Nuclear Engineering (KIGPONE) has been established by the Department of Nuclear and Quantum Engineering (NQE) with the aim to provide a highly competitive graduate program for international students for the master’s and doctoral degrees in nuclear engineering. The program builds on the expertise of the NQE’s faculty in the core areas of nuclear power generation and utilization, nuclear safety and reliability, and design of advanced nuclear reactors as well as other relevant domains, such as hydrogen production, materials, nuclear fuel cycle, radioactive waste management, nuclear energy policy, and radiation and medical technology. Our goal with KIGPONE is to prepare the students to be competent engineers, skilled experts, and effective leaders in any areas of nuclear engineering they may choose to engage in.
KIGPONE can be available to students from foreign organizations such as institutes, companies, government offices, and other qualified entities only after a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is signed between their affiliated organization and KAIST. Hitherto, two KIGPONE programs such as KINS-KAIST Nuclear Safety Master’s Program and RCA-KAIST M.S./Ph.D. Program have been operated by our department.
KIGPONE may offer a limited scope of tailored curriculum to meet the specific needs, if any, of the contracted institution within the bounds of NQE Dept. policies. Besides, the educational contents, admission criteria, conditions, and the number of students to be enrolled can be arranged through a negotiation process with the contracted institution. In addition, the design of the program enables students to benefit from the resources and course offerings of KAIST.
Applicants’ financial support including tuition, entrance fee, housing, and living expenses must be pre-endorsed by the contracted institution. The tuition is 15,000 USD/semester.
KIGPONE in summary: - Program: KIGPONE (KAIST International Graduate Program of Nuclear Engineering)
- Types of degree: Master’s and doctoral degrees in Nuclear Engineering
- PINGS will be offered by signing MOU between KAIST and the sponsoring organizations (institutes, companies, government offices, and other qualified entities)
- Language of instruction: English
- Tuition: 20,000 USD per semester
KIGPONE aims to equip the students with knowledge, skills, and experiences required to become effective global leaders and experts in nuclear technology, whether in academia, industry, government, or other organizations around the world. Now we invite you to explore your options with us and take the next step towards realizing the vision of the peaceful and sustainable use of nuclear power.
For more detailed information on KIGPONE, please contact the Program Coordinator:
|Professor Gyuseong Cho
Department of Nuclear and Quantum Engineering KAIST
335 Gwahak-ro (373-1 Guseong-dong), Yuseong-gu, Daejeon 305-701, Republic of Korea
Application and Admission Procedure
- Applicants seeking admission to KIGPONE will need to submit an application separate from the KAIST application. First, applicants require two letters of recommendation for admission. In the pre-admission stage, it is obligatory to submit one recommendation letter approved by the contracted institution to the KIGPONE Program Coordinator. This will be reviewed by the NQE evaluation committee. Both recommendation letters may be submitted further for application and admission procedure.
Admission Procedure 1. Step: Submission of Application Forms & Required Documents (Online and Hardcopy Submission)
2. Step: Document Screening & Selection
3. Step: Admissions Announcement
4. Step: Tuition Payment (Enrollment)
5. Step: Insurance of Certificate of Admission
6. Step: Application for Visa Insurance
The following are the list of required documents for application: 1. Application Form
2. Statement of Financial Resources
3. Letter of Recommendation
4. Transcripts, Graduation Certificates, Degree Certificates
5. Curriculum Vitae
6. Remittance of Application Fee and Copy of Receipt of the Remittance
7. Copy of Passport or National ID
8. Awards, Honors, Prizes, Merits, Distinction, Decoration (optional)
9. School Profile and Credit Rating System (optional)
Applicants for KIGPONE are exempted from submitting the certificate of the official English proficiency test. However, the English proficiency is highly desirable, as all NQE courses are taught in English.
More detailed information on admission and required documents can be found in the Office of Admissions at KAIST (http://admission.kaist.ac.kr).
Office of Admissions KAIST